Montpelier Project | Sarah Wilcox-Standring
2
archive,author,author-montpelierprj,author-2,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,select-theme-ver-4.2,side_area_uncovered,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.4.7,vc_responsive
 

Author:Sarah Wilcox-Standring

Montpelier Project Update

Work is in progress to return the Montpelier Retreat car park site to its original use for parking. Preliminary works have started to remove 280m3 of low-level contaminated soil. The work is expected to be completed within a week and has been approved by Hobart...

0
0

Supreme Court Appeal

As reported in the Mercury today, an appeal has been lodged with the Supreme Court of Tasmania in regard to the recent Resource Management Planning Appeals Tribunal decision approving the project. That appeal now removes the certainty that our company had recently gained from the Tribunal...

0
0
Photo of Montpelier Project Development Application

Planning Approvals Upheld

Sultan Holdings acknowledges that the Resource Management Planning Appeals Tribunal decision made public yesterday afternoon essentially re-affirmed the previous approval conditions imposed by the Hobart City Council in February 2015. Mr. Sultan was satisfied with the decision but felt that the process and timeframe had gone...

0
0

Next Steps

The archaeology has been a fascinating journey and Austral Tasmania have packed up their tools. They are now focusing on the analysis and recording of their findings. The comprehensive investigations have revealed significant new information about Hobart’s Aboriginal and European history and heritage. These findings will contribute to the...

0
0

Introducing Cottage Green

Salamanca was home to merchants, whalers and sailors, who traded out of the historic Georgian warehouses. Today these warehouses have been reinvented as galleries, theatres, arts and crafts shops, cafes and bars. The new development on Montpelier Retreat will extend the beauty of the precinct and...

0
0
Archaeological tool

Archaeology, Week 7

The archaeologists are expanding the site to investigate houses that were built between 1860 and 1880. They also found a hole to investigate, which stands between Alexander Orr's outbuildings and his house.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moKu3k0lQ3A&feature=youtu.be...

0
0

Archaeology, Week 6

The team have excavated William Burge's house this week, who was listed as the owner for 5 Montpelier Road from 1865 to sometime before 1895. The house was a rental property for Burge and was described as a six-roomed cottage with a large garden. Montpelier Retreat...

0
0

Archaeology, Week 5

The team have excavated two cess pits on the site, which were built at the rear of Alexander Orr's house. They were filled with domestic waste, capped and had plumbing installed in the late 19th to early 20th century. Find out how they knew where to dig and...

0
4
A photograph of the first sermon written and delivered by Reverend Robert Knopwood in 1804. Courtesy of Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office.

Knopwood’s First Sermon

Sunday, 26 February, 1804: Rev. Robert Knopwood delivers his first sermon in Van Diemen's Land. Soldiers and officers, dressed in their full uniforms, paraded in the morning then gathered to hear verse 43 or psalm 107, 'Whoever is wise will consider these things, and they shall understand the loving...

0
1